My take on the world.

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Daniel Diet--Making Chapattis

So for the next 2 weeks, starting tomorrow morning, I'm going on the Daniel Diet. If you haven't heard of it, it's the diet that Daniel and his friends went on in Daniel 1:8-16. It's basically fruit, vegetables, and water. You can't have anything refined, anything with yeast, or anything with added preservatives. No meat or animal products are allowed, and no sweeteners of any kind--not even honey. So, yesterday I went to Wal-Mart and basically bought the entire produce section. (I'm really busy with work and school and church, so I'm trying to pre-make as many meals as possible.) Last night I made chapattis, aka Indian flat bread (to be honest, I'm not sure if that's American Indian or actual Indian flatbread! haha). The recipe is really simple,and they're actually pretty good!

First, you start out with 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour and a pinch of salt. At first I tried to sift mine but that doesn't work so well with the whole wheat and I'm pretty sure it's not necessary anyway.

Next, add water to the flour and mix with your hands until a soft dough forms. The recipe calls for 2 cups of water but I used around half that much. Knead the dough for 5 minutes, cover with a wet cloth, and refrigerate for an hour.

Heat a cast iron skillet on medium high heat until very hot. (My mom's cast iron skillet was in the attic and I didn't feel like getting it, so I used a regular nonstick skillet. It worked very well.)

Pinch off a little over 1/2 of a handful of dough, round it and roll it out. I rolled mine out pretty thin but I think you can make it thicker; you'll just need to cook it longer.


Place a chapatti in the skillet; cook for 1 minute. Flip and cook the other side for 1 minute, pressing with a towel until the chapatti turns brown. (I skipped the towel because I forgot about it--I'm not sure what it's supposed to do anyway??) Since mine were pretty thin, I wound up cooking them about 45 seconds each side. I had it down to an art--I'd throw a chapatti in the skillet and have another rolled out by the time it was time to flip it.
My first attempt; I cooked it about 30 seconds too long, so it's a chapatti cracker...


This is more the right... consistency? Is that the word I'm looking for? Haha.

My plateful of chapattis! The recipe says it makes about 10; mine made 15. (I think that was because I rolled mine out pretty thin.)




4 comments:

  1. Go you! That's the same method of cooking tortillas, FYI, if you want to try that a little later. Just curious, what the motivation for the diet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Partly for the detox--I've heard about them and I'm curious to see if they really do help you feel better and all that. Also, I am trying to lose a few pounds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not as good as a regular tortilla... they aren't as soft, I think because the flour isn't as refined. They weren't bad though. I usually ate them with something else inside, like stir-fry.

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts?